The school’s iconic Centre was transformed into a dazzling theatre venue to stage an outstanding presentation to mark ten years since St Paul’s Secondary School has presented a musical. The staff and students enthusiastically took the opportunity to bring to the school community a show with a classic blend of music, hilarity, dancing and romance that showcased George and Ira Gershwins’ standards in all their glorious splendour.
The theatrical performance highlighted the strong arts culture here at St Paul’s and the talent of our students who have skilfully mastered the complex choreography of Susan Stroman, something that very few Secondary Schools would ever attempt. “Crazy for You” presented a classic story of a zany rich-boy-meets-hometown-girl romantic comedy. It told the story of young New York banker, Bobby Child, who is sent to Deadrock, Nevada, to foreclose on a rundown theatre. In Deadrock, Bobby falls for spunky Polly Baker, the theatre owner’s daughter. But Polly takes an instant dislike to the city slicker, so Bobby vows (through cunning, razzmatazz and a hilarious case of mistaken identity) to win Polly’s heart and save the theatre.
Memorable Gershwin tunes from the score included “I Got Rhythm,” “Naughty Baby,” “They Can’t Take That Away from Me,” “Embraceable You,” “But Not for Me,” “Nice Work if You Can Get It,” and “Someone to Watch Over Me”. These were performed by the Crazy for You® Orchestra, which comprised of current staff, ex-staff, current students, ex-students as well as local community professional musicians. St Paul’s Creative Arts students sang and danced beautifully and all of the performances were warmly received by the audiences.
Congratulations to all staff and students involved.
- Friday 8 June 2018
- Saturday 9 June 2018
- Sunday 10 June 2018
- Wednesday 13 June 2018
- Friday 15 June 2018
- Saturday 16 June 2018
Some feedback from audience members:
- "An amazing production by a very talented group of people. Thank you giving our students memories for a lifetime.
- " We loved the show - I cannot believe how talented they all are. It is a must see - the leads were incredible - you can say you saw them before they were famous.
- "One of the best gifts my son, Jayson, has ever given me was tickets to St Paul’s musical, Crazy for You on closing night. Everything about the show was amazing and flawless. Over the years we have paid hundred of dollars to see many and varied shows and I would say that Crazy for You is up there with the best. The school should be very proud of all the students and teachers who were involved in the production of the show.
- "We saw this on Wednesday - an amazing production. Can’t believe that everybody in the cast was a school student at St Pauls and most of the orchestra too. Best thing we’ve seen in years. Loved it!
- "It is a fabulously entertaining show and the talent of the school students is amazing. Well done. I could happily see it again. The orchestra also was terrific and the many hours of work on costumes, props, choreography etc all on show. I am running out of superlatives. Fantastic.
- "Thank you to St Paul’s for providing us with such quality entertainment. It was a wonderful performance and fantastic not only to see such talent from young people but to see how much they are enjoying themselves. We have brought people who do not have any association with the school and they are amazed at the quality of the night. Congratulations to everyone involved on stage, in the orchestra and behind the scenes."
- “It was absolutely amazing, the talent of the young students, and the encouragement of the school to all the students, who participated in one way or another. Loved it.
- “I am just so blown away by the talent, not just the leads but the whole cast. As a parent I have to say I’ve had my “quiet” grumble about ALL the rehearsals. After seeing some of last nights show I take it all back! It’s amazing. I was so teary and so awestruck at the quality of the performance. Massive congratulations to everyone involved, I hope you are so proud of yourselves. I think the St Paul’s Grammar Senior School Musical will become a Nepean/Hawkesbury/Blue Mountains community event in the years to come."
- Thank you to St Paul’s for providing us with such quality entertainment. It was a wonderful performance and fantastic not only to see such talent from young people but to see how much they are enjoying themselves. We have brought people who do not have any association with the school and they are amazed at the quality of the night. Congratulations to everyone involved on stage, in the orchestra and behind the scenes.”
- "Wow- what a phenomenal production!! The talent of these students, the set, costumes, choreography and orchestra blew my mind. An extremely professional standard. We were thoroughly entertained. Bravo St Paul’s!"
With thanks to our Sponsors: